THE UNIVERSITY SENATE
The formulation of Academic policies including the organization and control of all academic activities of the University is the responsibility of the University Senate. The Senate is the co-ordination body for recommendations from the various faculties and department; the Senate advises in the academic matters through Boards of Colleges and Faculties. The membership of Senate consists of the Vice-Chancellor as the Chairman, all professors, Deans, Heads of Departments, Librarian and Congregation Representatives.
The Senate performs the following functions among other things:
- The Establishment, Organization, control of Faculties and Departments in the
University and allocation of responsibility to different department of different
branches of learning.
- The organization and control of course of study at the University and Examination
held in conjunction with those courses.
- The award of degrees and other such qualifications as may be prescribed in
conjunction with examination aforementioned.
- Recommendations to the Council with respect to the award to any person an
honorary fellowship, honorary degree or the title of professor Emeritus and Selection
for admission as student in the University .
- Determination of what description of dress shall be Academic Dress for the puepose
of the University and regulation of the use of Academic Dress.
- The appointment and promotions of non-teaching and teaching staff.
- Supervision of the student welfare at the University and regulation of their conduct.
- The grant of scholarship, prizes and similar awards so far as the award is within the
control of the University.
- The work of the Senate is carried out through an intricate network of Committees
including the Committee of Deans, the Development Committee, Student Disciplinary
Committee, Farm Management Committee, Board of Postgraduates etc.